[lxc-users] System task automation and System update

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Wed Jun 22 21:50:56 UTC 2016

Dear Benoit,

if your really like this approach, then you may use such an filesystem overlay tool (overlayfs, aufs) to setup layered root filesystems for your containers of LXC.

But the package manager of the used Linux -- especially it's database for installed software --  must be aware to this layered situation. If some kind of a real binary database container is used, I see no chance. But if the metadata for each package is hold within a named file in a directory structure, it may be compatible with the filesystem overlay facility.

And even if, while installing any new software you have to take a lot of care of the right layer to apply it to. You can't let install "dependencies" automatically by installing the top level application, because you probably want to have all "common used" packages in an own, lower layer to realize your "update once" policy. Therefore, you have to list the dependencies of a top layer software, install them on a lower layer and afterwards the software package itself on the top layer.

with greetings

Guido