[lxc-users] System task automation and System update

Benoit GEORGELIN - Association Web4all benoit.georgelin at web4all.fr
Wed Jun 22 21:12:27 UTC 2016

Bonjour :)

I'm looking for a feedback about people using LXC technology containers and automation tools for system task and system update.
With the ability of having hundred of containers running at the same time, I was wondering how you manage your infrastructure.

Let's say we talk about 50 and more containers, all running LXC with on LXD and to be as simple as possible , same host.
How do you manage system update across those containers ?
How do you manage system security updates ?

I'm still trying to find a smart way to keep every single system up to date from a system point of view. Let's put the application on the side for now.

Would it be possible to have one master container where every system updates , including security updates can be done and a simple stop/start to the others 49 containers will make them up to date too ?
Using storage technology or anything related to lxc or this seems not possible to you ? :)

I know a lot of automation tool like Puppet , CFengine, Salt, Ansible, Chef. etc..
You can update the system, install security updates , but at the end, they all do unit deployment .

I would have imagine a system where you can have a central image . Like docker works with layers ^^

Thanks for sharing your inputs and experiences about this !

Cordialement,

BenoƮt