[lxc-users] Desktop Environment in LXD

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Jun 17 20:48:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Rahul Rawail <rhlrawail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Simos for your answer, Just few questions and they may be dumb
> questions, if LXD is running on top of a host OS and host machine has
> graphic card I thought that it will be able to give it a call  and I
> understand that since LXD still uses core functions of host OS hence if I
> will create 100 containers then all of them will have access to all the host
> hardware including video and audio.

Yes, and no. Depending on what you want, and how you setup the containers.

One way to do it is to give containers access to the hardware
directly, often meaning that only one of them can use the hardware at
the same time.

> I have tried  https://www.stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/

That's another way to do it: give containers access to host resources
(e.g. X, audio) via unix sockets by setting bind mounts manually

> Also, I thought that container should be able to use host os X server and
> there should not be any need of another X server.

correct for the second way.

> Can the container desktop environment be called from another remote machine
> for remote access.

... and that's the third way. Treat containers like another headless
server, and setup remote GUI access to it appropriately. My favorite
is xrdp, but vnc or x2go should work as well (I haven't tested sound
though, didn't need it)

Note that if you need copy/paste and file transfer support in xrdp,
your containers need to be privileged with access to /dev/fuse
enabled. If you don't need that feature, the default unpriv container
is fine.

--
Fajar