[lxc-users] LXC -> LXD

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 15:42:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 05:26:10PM +0200, alex barchiesi wrote:
> Hi, I'm quite new of the list.
> Let me introduce myself quickly: I'm Alex and I recently managed the GARR X
> Progress cloud architecture (consisting in more than 4000 cores scattered
> in 5 geo-locations).
> I'm using LXC since about 1 year and I' m seting up a multisite openstack
> liberty (that is in production for the Storage part: Swift) with the
> control plane on LXC and the compute on bare metal.
>
> I was wondering if someone smootly migrated an LXC *manually* managed
> installation to LXD and in case how :)
>
> thanks in advance for the advice
>
> Alex

I've done that myself on a bunch of hosts.

Typically I'd done it by creating a new LXD container, make sure that
they are similarly configured (privileged or unprivileged with same id
map), then rsync /var/lib/lxc/<container>/rootfs to
/var/lib/lxd/containers/<container>/rootfs

I also wrote a script in the upstream repo which uses pylxd and
python3-lxc to do the migration for you. It worked fine while testing it
here but I didn't use it for any production systems as I had migrated
those to LXD before I got to write that script.

https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/scripts/lxc-to-lxd

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer