[lxc-users] kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - renders the system inresponsive

Király, István laking at d250.hu
Tue Jul 19 03:13:40 UTC 2016

Hello list, ...

Today, after an upgrade from lxc 2.0.0 to 2.0.3 + a full OS update, some
strange errors shed light.

In the terminal:

kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 22s!
[rpc.nfsd:25666]

.. beeps every 10 seconds or so.

top shows indeed rpc.nfsd with the given pid at continuous 100% CPU usage.
It renders the system completely out of control, even a reboot command
times out.

This behavior is getting started after starting a couple of containers.

On another server, the same upgrade took place, and after a couple of same
style errors (with kworker as I remember) - but the system started up and
so far runs as normal.

On a third system, there were no errors, but that had only one container.

My only hope now is that a distro update from fedora 23 to 24 will
eliminate the problem.
Might try an lxc downgrade before though ,...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you, ...

--
 Király István