[lxc-users] Create unprivileged container - debian jessie on debian jessi

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Feb 22 08:18:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Stanislav Lorenc <
stanislav.lorenc at cernovice.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i create unprivileged container in debian jessie distro with command:
> lxc-create -n test -t download -B zfs -- -d debian -r jessie -a amd64
> I use debian jessie distro.
>
> Command exit with error : ERROR: Couldn't find a matching image.:
>
> Well. I went to download template and locate wget command which download
> file
> https://images.linuxcontainers.org//meta/1.0/index-user.1
> In this file is missing template for debian jessie.
> I list images dir on linuxcontainer and debian/jessie is contanied in
> https://images.linuxcontainers.org//meta/1.0/index-user
>
> Ok. I set manually DOWNLOAD_COMPAT_LEVEL=1 to 0 and run lxc-create again
> and jessie contaner was created.
> There is missing explanation for this variable. What does it mean ?

Google brings me to this page:
http://myles.sh/configuring-lxc-unprivileged-containers-in-debian-jessie/

> I think - make manually updates in distro files is not good idea.
> Do i something wrong when i create debian/jessie unprivileged container ?

AFAIK it simply doesn't work with the old, bundled version of lxc. You
MIGHT be able to get around that by using sysvinit inside the container
(see the link below)

If you don't mind using third-party packages, try my howto:
http://debian-lxc.github.io/
It ports ubuntu's lxc-1.1.5 and related packages (including lxcfs, needed
for systemd-based containers), with documentation on how to install
sysvinit inside the container (involves lxc-usernsexec and chroot), or
replacing container's systemd version with a newer one (also ported from
ubuntu).

If you're feeling even MORE adventurous, you could also try
compiling lxc-2.0.0.rc1 directly from github sources.

--
Fajar