[lxc-users] LXD Live Migration: error - must have criu 1.9 or greater

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sat Feb 13 09:14:25 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 11.02.2016 19:33, John Dupont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to live migrate a container, following the steps described
> at: https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/05/06/live-migration-in-lxd/
>
> However, when I execute the migrate command, I obtain an error:
> # lxc move migratee lxd2:migratee
> error: Error transferring container data: checkpoint failed:
> checkpoint failed
>
> When checking the log file (/var/log/lxd/migratee/lxc.log), I see the
> following line:
> lxc [...] ERROR    lxc_criu - criu.c:criu_version_ok:348 - must have
> criu 1.9 or greater to checkpoint/restore
>
> The machine (Ubuntu 14.04) is running criu version 1.7.2, and on the
> criu webpage (https://criu.org/Main_Page), the latest version appears to
> be version 1.8. However, the error suggests a more recent version 1.9 to
> be required. Would you know where I can find version 1.9 of criu? Or is
> the failure caused by something else?

No there's a hard version check to criu 1.9 in the code, why I'm not
quite clear, but I assume there's a reason, e.g. not working with the
latest release 1.8 but working with the newest code commits since then.

You could build it yourself from crius github repository, LXC has a
separate check when criu is build from (git) sources, so that should
work - at least for the version check.

cheers,
Thomas