[lxc-users] No IP given after migrating LXC container to LXD

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 4 13:11:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 07:59:54AM -0500, Luis Michael Ibarra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry, sent it again, didn't know what happened with the formatting.
>

> Distro: Ubuntu 14.04.3
> Kernel: 3.19.0-49-generic
> LXD: 2.0.0.beta1
> LXC: 2.0.0.beta1
>
> I migrated an lxc privileged container to LXD. So I did the following:
>
> 1. Created a container: *lxc init [local_image] test*
> 2. Deleted rootfs: *rm -rf /var/lib/lxd/containers/test/rootfs*
> 3. Copied privileged rootfs: *tar --numeric-owner lxc-rootfs.tgz -C
> /var/lib/lxd/containers/test/*
> 4. Then I set up: *lxc config set test security.privileged true*
>
> When I started the container I got not networking. Other containers which
> were created normally using lxc launch or lxc init without moving/removing
> their rootfs have no problems getting networking configuration.

Might be worth checking that the owners of
/var/lib/lxd/containers/test/rootfs are correct. LXD does th remapping
on startup, so with the commands you did above, it'll attempt to remap
everything on first startup which may have messed with the uid/gid of
all your files.

Instead, you should do "lxc init [local image] test* -c security.privileged=true"
so setting the privileged flag on creation so that LXD doesn't attempt
the shift on first startup.

> Log information after *lxc start test* : http://paste.ubuntu.com/14877042/
> test container configuration file lxc.conf:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/14877066/
>

> PS: Why are you using unix time in logs? It's kind of difficult to debug
> containers, or probably I'm using the wrong tools.

Those aren't unix timestamps. Unix timestamps are seconds since
1970-01-01, our timestamps are just a long string of YYYYMMDDhhmmss. Not
saying it couldn't be made more readable though :)