[lxc-users] Unable to import the ZFS pool LXD

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Aug 10 05:39:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Sean McNamara <smcnam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Goran Brkuljan <goran.brkuljan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have problem with ZFS pool when I start LXD containers. I did not work
>> with containers at the time when problem occurred. Everything runs on Ubuntu
>> virtual machine.
>>
>> Unable to import the ZFS pool: cannot import 'Zfile': I/O error
>>         Recovery is possible, but will result in some data loss.
>>         Returning the pool to its state as of Tue Aug  9 04:09:45 2016
>>         should correct the problem.  Approximately 15 seconds of data
>>         must be discarded, irreversibly.  Recovery can be attempted
>>         by executing 'zpool import -F Zfile'.  A scrub of the pool
>>         is strongly recommended after recovery.
>>

>> When I run  'sudo zpool import -F Zfile' I got following error:
>> cannot import 'Zfile': no such pool available
>>
>> And when I run 'sudo zpool list' I got: no pools available
>

> This looks to be a ZFS problem, possibly due to bad storage layer (or
> unreliable) or some kind of corruption of the core ZFS metadata.
>
> Anyway, this is not an LXD problem and should not be worked on here.

I believe it shoud.

@Goran, did you let lxd create a new zfs pool on top of a file
(loopback)? If yes (e.g. you're following
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxd.html#lxd-configuration or
similar), then that kind of setup should not be considered production
ready. IMHO the official ubuntu documentation should be updated to
give a warning about that.

Anyway, try "sudo zpool import -d /var/lib/lxd -F Zfile"

--
Fajar