[lxc-users] Unable to import the ZFS pool LXD

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:39:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Goran Brkuljan <goran.brkuljan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have problem with ZFS pool when I start LXD containers. I did not work
> with containers at the time when problem occurred. Everything runs on Ubuntu
> virtual machine.
>
> Unable to import the ZFS pool: cannot import 'Zfile': I/O error
>         Recovery is possible, but will result in some data loss.
>         Returning the pool to its state as of Tue Aug  9 04:09:45 2016
>         should correct the problem.  Approximately 15 seconds of data
>         must be discarded, irreversibly.  Recovery can be attempted
>         by executing 'zpool import -F Zfile'.  A scrub of the pool
>         is strongly recommended after recovery.
>

> When I run  'sudo zpool import -F Zfile' I got following error:
> cannot import 'Zfile': no such pool available
>
> And when I run 'sudo zpool list' I got: no pools available

This looks to be a ZFS problem, possibly due to bad storage layer (or
unreliable) or some kind of corruption of the core ZFS metadata.

Anyway, this is not an LXD problem and should not be worked on here.
This is strictly a problem somewhere within the storage subsystem (so
it could be related to Linux, or ZFS on Linux (kernel or userspace),
or ZFS userland tools). It may in fact not even be a code problem at
all, it may just be a legitimately broken FS or storage system. Hard
to say.

Sean