[lxc-users] Graphics and sound with LXD

efersept stevekadams at outlook.com
Thu Apr 21 15:34:15 UTC 2016

     I know it has been a while since I brought this subject up as I
have not really made any progress since. I did have success mounting the
appropriate audio devices in the container just as with the legacy lxc
technique but the privileges issue seem insurmountable, at least for me,
as there does not seem to be a method to import a host uid into the
container with lxd.
     That being said it recently occurred to me that there was another
method that seems simpler and more elegant for this use case and that is
exporting pulseaudio server over the network. It is fairly well
documented, although unfamiliar to me, and I have been experimenting
with it. It seems to be working on the host side but the issue arises in
the container. Pulseaudio is installed but seems detached. When I launch
an application all seems to go well and no more errors about missing
sound devices but no sound. And there is no pulseaudio instance launched
in the container. Attempts to connect with pulseaudio simply time out
with no other errors.
     Any ideas? Is this doomed to fail in this use case for reasons I am
unaware of?