[lxc-users] LXD on Ubuntu 15.10 armhf

Matthew Geddes musicalcarrion at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 06:19:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 on some armhf boxes (odroid XU4s) and I'm having
trouble starting containers. I'm not having the same trouble on my Intel
15.10 install. Both architectures are using 2.0.0rc9 from the PPA.

When I attempt to start (lxc start foo) a created container, it fails and
the seemingly-most-relevant log message is:

.... lxc_conf - conf.c:setup_caps.2058 - Operation not permitted - failed
to remove mac_admin capability

Poking around a little further, I can see that I'm able to use capsh to
start a shell and drop CAP_MAC_ADMIN when running as root. The lxd process
is running as root too.

I didn't see a lot of clues in the debug output, so I ran it under strace
and it is indeed failing with EPERM when it calls prctl(PR_CAPBSET_DROP,
0x21,0,0,0). The man page says that this fails when the caller doesn't have
CAP_SETPCAP, so I tried using setcap on the lxd binary as a test, and
restarted it, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers