[lxc-users] lxc file push garbling existing file

Craig Tataryn craiger at tataryn.net
Wed Apr 6 19:25:11 UTC 2016

I just saw that 2.0 was released! Congrats! You guys have quick release
cycles, I don't consider 6 months that long ago!

Q1. Just out of curiosity how does the version displayed using the
 '--version' switch coincide with the releases on the news page? [1]

Also, I find this very interesting... prior to running `apt-get update` I
did an `apt-cache policy lxd` and I saw:

Candidate: 2.0.0~rc15-0~ubuntu14.04.1~ppa1

Then I ran `apt-get update` followed by `apt-cache policy lxd` and I now
see:

Candidate: 2.0.0~rc8-0~ubuntu5~ubuntu14.04.1~ppa1

Q2. rc15 > rc8 no? Why would that be?

P.S. I love this project and I'm by no means a DevOps but I've managed to
build myself a sweet Build/Deploy System and a Server container for my app
all by using LXD on a cheap VPS. I struggled with Docker for a day, then
found this post [2], and never looked back.

Craig.

[1] - https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/news/
[2] - https://www.flockport.com/lxc-vs-docker/

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 09:55:08AM -0500, Craig Tataryn wrote:
> > I've setup an automated deploy script that does the following:
> >
> > * Uploads (via scp) a file to a host
> > * Executes (via ssh) the `lxc file push` command to a container on that
> host
> >
> > Every once in a while the file that is pushed to the container winds up
> > being garbled somehow.  I've experienced this for both text and binary
> > files.  When I crack open the text file typically it appears that the
> last
> > line of the file duplicates some partial remnants of the previous file
> that
> > was overwritten.
> >
> > My current work around is to issue an `lxc exec -- rm -f <existing file>`
> > before doing the push.
> >
> > Before I go through a lot of trial-and-error I was wondering if anyone
> > knows if this is a known issue, or have otherwise experienced this for
> > themselves?
> >
> > Versions:
> > LXC: 0.19
> > LXD: 0.19
> > LXCFS: 0.10
>
> Please upgrade to something a bit more recent, that's all been fixed
> months ago :)
>
> 0.19 is from September 2015, we are now at 2.0.0 rc8.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Craig.

> --
> Stéphane Graber