[lxc-users] Containers have network issues when their host uses a bonded interface

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:31:18 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 07:57 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> If I read the bug report correctly, it's not moved to lxc. Rather, KVM
> is not required to reproduce it, using lxc is enough to trigger the
> bug. Using KVM will of course still trigger the bug as well.
Sorry, I didn't mean the bug was moved to lxc, I just meant the
discussion moved to lxc. Since we've been using KVM for years though and
have never seen this issue, my guess is that it may have been fixed for KVM.
> Probably because not many people use balance-rr. Mission-critical
> setups would use 802.3ad (with suitable switches), while beginners
> would mostly stick with active-backup.
We use balance-alb (mode 5) of course so we can get more bandwidth in
our transmit pipe. We install our software in generic environments and
cannot rely on the customer having special switches. This means mode 5
is the best option for us, although we support mode 6 (balance-alb)
installs as well.
> Since the original bug report is quite old, and you're not using
> ubuntu, I suggest you:
> - try latest kernel, to make sure the bug still exists there (e.g.
> using 4.2 from http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml)
> - file a bug report to centos and/or linux kernel maintainers
I tried the 4.2 kernel and the problem appears to be fixed in this
kernel for my LXC tests--the arp tables update properly with this
kernel. CentOS 7.1 is running kernel 3.10. Not sure what the QA folks
here will think about using the 4.2 kernel to fix this issue...