[lxc-users] self-built ubuntu container image

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Oct 23 09:27:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:51 PM, WANG Cheng D <
Cheng.d.Wang at alcatel-sbell.com.cn> wrote:

> Dear team,
>

> Can you tell me how to self-build a Ubuntu container image?
>

> I have installed a big application inside the container and the
> installation process is quite time-consuming. I want to distribute this
> container to multiple machines and the best way is to create a self-built
> lxc image, so that I needn’t to install the application again and again on
> different machines.
>

> How can I achieve this?
>

>From the list archive:
https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2014-December/008128.html

Of course, if your requirement is as simple as "I want to clone this
container in a similar way that virtualbox/vmware can export OVA", you can
simply create an image (e.g. compressed tar file) of your container
directory (e.g. /var/lib/lxc/app1), then copy-and-extract it on the other
machines.

If you use the default lxcbr0 for the container, then you should be all
set, no need to change anything.

If the containers are bridged to your LAN, then at the minimum you need to
change its mac address (on the container config file).

--
Fajar