[lxc-users] Builds and distribution of LXC "packages"

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 2 20:11:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Jason Harley wrote:
> Hello —
>
> Instead of using templates to kickoff the creation of containers on various hosts (potentially time consuming or difficult in restricted access environments), I’m wanting to build LXC ‘base boxes’ (to borrow a word from vagrant) and distribute them to hosts (via package management or HTTP) to have them run one of many container images.
>
> I’m eyeing tools like Packer (packer.io), or even using an LXC template to build a container and then package up the result.
>
> Is anyone on the list doing this, or instead just using the build from template route?  Perhaps more importantly: is what I’m describing a bad idea?
>
> Thanks,
> ./JRH

"build a container and then package up the result" is exactly what we do
for the download template. A central Jenkins server
(https://jenkins.linuxcontainers.org) builds all the supported templates
every day for all the releases and architectures they support. The
result is compressed, gpg signed and made available at
https://images.linuxcontainers.org. The "download" template then
consumes that.

You can override the server and the GPG key by passing arguments to the
template and so point that to your own local server. The tool used to
build the images can be found at https://github.com/lxc/lxc-ci

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer