[lxc-users] Status: Debian Jessie support for unprivileged containers?

Christian Benke benkokakao at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 08:32:05 UTC 2015

Hello!

I'm struggling to create an unprivileged Jessie container on a Jessie
host. I came across this chart:
https://www.flockport.com/lxc-and-lxd-support-across-distributions/,
which points out that unprivileged containers are currently not
supported on Debian Jessie.

Can someone tell me if this information is up-to-date? Is my struggle
to get this working futile?

If there is a way (Several mailinglist-posts suggest so) - I'm not
even able to create the container, as an unprivileged user the
template is not available:

~$ lxc-create -n my-container -t debian -- -r jessie
This template can't be used for unprivileged containers.
You may want to try the "download" template instead.
lxc_container: container creation template for my-container failed
lxc_container: Error creating container my-container

##

~$ lxc-create -t download -n my-container -l DEBUG
Setting up the GPG keyring
Downloading the image index
---
DIST RELEASE ARCH VARIANT BUILD
---
[..]
centos 6 i386 default 20151013_02:16
debian wheezy amd64 default 20151012_22:42
debian wheezy armel default 20151012_22:42
debian wheezy armhf default 20151012_22:42
debian wheezy i386 default 20151012_22:42
gentoo current amd64 default 20151012_14:12
[..]
---

Release: jessie
Architecture: amd64

Downloading the image index
ERROR: Couldn't find a matching image.
lxc_container: container creation template for my-container failed
lxc_container: Error creating container my-container

Creating a privileged Jessie container is not an issue. Thanks for any hints.

Best regards,
Christian