[lxc-users] oracle linux 7 in LXC: ulimit problem for root

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Wed Nov 25 10:38:12 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

hopefully this is not too much ot for this list:

I am running Oracle Linux 7 in LXC. Problem: If I try to login
as root via ssh, then I am kicked out after authentication,
apparently due to an ulimit problem:

Nov 25 11:08:58 lxc1.example.com sshd[186]: pam_limits(sshd:session): Could not set limit for 'nofile': Operation not permitted
Nov 25 11:08:58 lxc1.example.com sshd[186]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Nov 25 11:08:58 lxc1.example.com sshd[186]: error: PAM: pam_open_session(): Permission denied

/etc/security/limits.conf says:

* hard nofile 65536
#root hard nofile 65536

Please note that the "root" line is commented out. According to
the documentation there is no reason for pam to touch root's
ulimit, but I have to comment out the other line as well to enable
ssh support for root.

How comes?

Every helpful comment is highly appreciated
Harri