[lxc-users] lxcbr0?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Nov 19 03:00:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Robert Koretsky <bobk48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have successfully installed and created/started LXC containers on Ubuntu
> 15.10, but cannot get them to be visible on my home network. I do an
> ifconfig on both the host and in a container, and see the IPv4 address of
> lxcbr0 as 10.0.3.1, but after reading many references cannot figure out how
> to get my router to assign the container an address, like 192.168.0.20 say.

What documentations have you read?

> I think one of the purposes of containerized OS's is putting web-facing
> stuff in them securely.

One of them, yes. Not the only one.

> So I don't follow the reasoning behind putting the container in it's own
> sub-net with the host,

Because that's the easiest setup to start with. Similar to vbox's NAT
networking.

> and then not having some readily available docs to explain how to get the
> container to face the network.

Did you read "Networking" section on
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxc.html ?

> Someone at Ubuntu forums suggested that since many networks have different
> configurations, explaining how to hook up LXC to all of them would be
> difficult.
> Not to bash LXC, I think it's a great piece of software, but in
> VirtualBox, or PCBSD Jails, Solaris Zones, bridging the VM guest NIC is
> almost a trivial operation. Not so in LXC, IMHO.

Again, what documentations have you actually read?

> And I have a vanilla installation of Ubuntu 15.10 running on dedicated
> hardware, and the default LXC packages from the Ubuntu repository.
> I would appreciate anyone coming up with some clearly articulated
> procedure for bridging lxcbr0, so I can either have it automatically
> assigned an IP address by my router, or even done manually somehow.

The basics should be explained in the link I sent, including how to "bridge
the host's network interfaces".

The networking setup (e.g. bridge-with-nat, or bridge-host-interface) is
generic, in that it applies to lxc, xvm, xen, whatever.

--
Fajar