[lxc-users] LXD Live Migration

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Mon Nov 9 19:45:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Jamie Brown wrote:
> Not sure why my this thread is being hijacked to ask very general questions :) please don't confuse those with me ;)

Definitely not :)

> Tycho,
>
> Thanks for the response regarding criu, I figured this may be the case from inspecting the criu source, but wasn't sure how this could be configured and whether there were known limitations. Considering criu has some sort of caching of hard/soft links, could this potentially use a lot of RAM during the snapshot phase if this limit were to be heavily increased?

I think it's mostly to avoid puting GBs of files into criu's images,
which seems like a somewhat artificial concern to me :). For LXC 2.0
(planned for 16.04) I'm going to add a new API function that will let
you configure a lot of this stuff and have a more extensible API than
->checkpoint now.

> I also wondered if you had any response to the mounting issue using ext3/ext4 I sent the other day?

You're talking about the .lxd-mounts failure? I've thought about it,
but I can't understand how it's happening. I've heard off-list of
several other people with the issue, though, can you send

cat /proc/<pid>/mountinfo

of the target LXD?

> I'm finding it odd that I get random successful migrations, but then can't replicate it. I'm always just testing with simple fresh Ubuntu containers. The container that caused the criu error was an exception to this.

By criu error, you mean the ghost file size error?

Tycho