[lxc-users] Macvlan

Dave Smith dave.smith at candata.com
Sat May 30 20:22:12 UTC 2015

I am trying to setup a public IP via macvlan to a container. The host has a
public IP and then 2 extra static public IP's on one physical interface
(bond1) that is assigned to it by my upstream vendor. In my config I have

lxc.network.type = macvlan
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = bond1
lxc.network.name = eth0
lxc.network.ipv4 = x.x.x.x/32 x.x.x.x
lxc.network.ipv4.gateway = x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the public static IP I want to use

In my container

netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
0.0.0.0         x.x.x.x    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

 ip -d link show eth0
56: eth0 at if7: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP,M-DOWN> mtu 1500 qdisc
noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/ether e6:9d:bf:fb:95:c7 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    macvlan  mode private

Now when I ping out from my container ( to google.ca) I see the packet
going out and coming back (using tcpdump -e ) on the bond1 interface but my
container never receives it. There are no iptables rules on either the host
or in the container.

I am using lxc-1.0.7-1.el6.x86_64 on Cent0s 6.6.

If would appreciate some guidance on trying to debug this