[lxc-users] lxc-ls -f problem

Dave Birch dave.birch at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:16:53 UTC 2015

Just seen this happen again on a different machine and may have worked
out when it started happening.

It looks like my scripts had just cloned a container from my template
container using overlayfs, then tried to start the new container.

I now not run the following commands whilst referencing this container:
lxc-start
lxc-destroy

Any attempt to run them hangs and I get very similar trace level debug
for both commands when trying to start either the template container or
the clone:

sudo lxc-start -n ubuntutemplate -l trace -o startTemplate.out
<left it for a few minutes>
^C

cat startTemplate.out:
      lxc-start 1432292499.352 INFO     lxc_start_ui -
lxc_start.c:main:265 - using rcfile /var/lib/lxc/ubuntutemplate/config
      lxc-start 1432292499.352 WARN     lxc_log - log.c:lxc_log_init:316
- lxc_log_init called with log already initialized

Only difference is the destroy log doesn't show the "using rcfile"
message, only the log warning.

The previously reported error occurs when I run lxc-ls with any of the
optional flags such as -f, --running etc. Plain lxc-ls with no flags
seems to return without error.

Also, lxc commands on other containers other than my template and clone
seem to be fine.

My issue is that without being able to lxc-destroy the container, I have
no idea how to get rid of the problem containers to resolve my issue. I
will do some more investigation and see if I find anything else, the big
thing to know would be how to manually remove an lxc container (if it's
possible).