[lxc-users] Autostart: container ordering for various multi-container operations

Bostjan Skufca bostjan at a2o.si
Wed Mar 4 19:29:37 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I would like to open a discussion about container ordering regarding to
lxc.start.order and lxc-autostart operations.

Currently, let's presume that pull request
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/pull/461 is merged and that containers start in
ascending lxc.start.order fashion.

This makes sense for the following multi-container operations:
- start
- reset <--- this may be done in any order actually

What about multi-container shutdown?

So, I would like to know what is your opinion about what feels more natural
to you:
a) containers are shut down in the same order as they are started
b) containers are shut down in reverse order regarding to their startup
order
c) should there be a separate lxc.stop.order setting?
d) something else?

b.

PS: My preference would be to perform shutdown in reverse order, if there
is no lxc.stop.order setting (implemented or set).