[lxc-users] lxc snapshot

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Fri Jun 5 04:51:33 UTC 2015

Is there a tutorial or blog post about using lxc snapshot anywhere?

~ lxc version
0.10

~ lxc list
+------------+---------+---------------+------+-----------+-----------+
|    NAME    |  STATE  |     IPV4      | IPV6 | EPHEMERAL | SNAPSHOTS |
+------------+---------+---------------+------+-----------+-----------+
| sysadm     | RUNNING | 192.168.0.3   |      | NO        | 0         |
| ubuntu.lxc | RUNNING | 192.168.0.216 |      | NO        | 1         |
+------------+---------+---------------+------+-----------+-----------+

~ lxc snapshot ubuntu.lxc ubuntu_101.lxc

The snapshot does not show up in the above lxc list and I'm not sure how I
would go about starting it... presuming one can treat a snapshot just like
the parent container (maybe I misunderstand the purpose of a snapshot.)

~ lxc info ubuntu.lxc
Name: ubuntu.lxc
Init: 22167
Ips:
  eth0:  IPV4   192.168.0.216
  lo:    IPV4   127.0.0.1
  lo:    IPV6   ::1
Snapshots:
  ubuntu.lxc/ubuntu_101.lxc

Questions:

- can I use a snapshot like the parent container?
- if so how to start and stop it?
- if not what is the best method to create 100's of containers?