[lxc-users] How to increase space of existing container

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Jul 22 04:30:52 UTC 2015

On Monday, July 20, 2015 08:44:12 AM Mahesh Pujari wrote:
> I had created a container with default settings and now it fails to start
> due to space issues, how can I increase space of a container which has
> exhausted its space.

Most likely you have to deal with this on a lower filesystem or hardware level
to increase the space of the current partition or subvolume where the lcx root
system is stored. However if you just need to get unstuck and get the container
to start again so you can take control of it then you can clear out /var/log
and /var/tmp fairly safely and that might get you enough wiggle roon to at least
start and get back into the container. Something like this could help, as root...

find /var/lib/lxc/c1/rootdev/var/log/ -type f -exec rm {} \;
rm -rf /var/lib/lxc/c1/rootdev/var/tmp/*
rm -rf /var/lib/lxc/c1/rootdev/tmp/*