[lxc-users] udevadm trigger corrupts the container

Christoph Mathys eraserix at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:37:21 UTC 2015

I've been digging further and also tested with Ubuntu mainline
kernels. To detect if the problem has been triggered I resorted to
'script' which fails to allocate a pty in the error case. For the
problem to occur, "lxc.autodev = 1" seems to be required. I was not
able to reproduce the problem without it at least.

I used lxc 1.0.7 on Ubuntu 14.04 for testing, the containers to
compare are setup with:
sudo lxc-create -n c -t ubuntu -- -r precise

I then manually added "lxc.autodev = 1" to the containers configuration.

To reproduce the problem I run the following commands in a loop:
sudo lxc-attach -n c --clear-env -- script -c tty /dev/null
sudo lxc-attach -n c --clear-env -- udevadm trigger --action=change
sudo lxc-attach -n c --clear-env -- script -c tty /dev/null

Output is something like that in the error case:
Script started, file is /dev/null
/dev/pts/0
Script done, file is /dev/null
script: openpty failed: No such file or directory
[1]    3899 terminated  ./test.sh withautodev

I tested the following kernels:
- 3.16 Ubuntu -> OK
- 3.16.7 mainline -> FAIL
- 3.18.17 mainline -> FAIL