[lxc-users] Using LXC and VMs together runs into a cgroup issue

Anjali Kulkarni anjali at juniper.net
Sat Jan 17 15:58:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have been using LXC container and VM started on a host machine simultaneously for a while. However, recently on using another machine, I see that either one can be started, but not both.
If the /cgroups is mounted, then the LXC starts, but the VM(started via libvirt) does not, giving the error:

virsh start VM1
error: Failed to start domain VM1
error: Controller 'memory' is not wanted, but 'cpu' is co-mounted: Invalid argument

If I umount /cgroups, and restart libvirt, then the VM1 VM is created via libvirt, but LXC start fails because it fails to locate cgroups.:

lxc-start -n lxc1
lxc-start: Could not find writable mount point for cgroup hierarchy 2 while trying to create cgroup.
lxc-start: failed creating cgroups

I am not sure if the bug is in libvirt or anywhere else, can someone pls recommend how to fix or workaround this issue?

Thanks,
Anjali