[lxc-users] unprivileged container with zfs backing

Adam Gold awg1 at gmx.com
Wed Feb 4 10:46:06 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 10:10, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Adam Gold <awg1 at gmx.com
> <mailto:awg1 at gmx.com>> wrote:
>
>     In summary, I would like each unprivileged container to run on top of a
>     new zfs filesystem which I create as root and assign relevant ownership
>     to. Is this possible?
>

> should be possible, BUT not with lxc-create.
>
> The easiest method would probably be to create a "template" container
> for that particular user, and clone it manually (e.g. using zfs
> snapshot/clone, plus edit the config file manually). You already create
> the fs manually, so this workaround might be acceptable.

I've only ever created containers using lxc-create.  Are you saying that
I should manually create a template container at the root of a
particular zfs filesystem (e.g. zfs/lxc/containers/c1) and then I simply
use zfs clone to create each new container (and, of course, tweak the
config)?  If so, what's the best way to manually create a template in
unprivileged mode to ensure all the subuids and subgids are assigned
correctly.

Also, for the additional containers that I get from zfs cloning, will
they be recognised by 'lxc-* -n' commands?

Thanks for your interest in this!