[lxc-users] Converting from libvirt lxc

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:16:19 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 11:39 AM, Saint Michael wrote:
> I don't explain myself.
> You need an Ubuntu 14.04 server with nothing else running, but LXC.
> 100% of the real work gets done via Centos containers.It works
> perfectly and it is rock solid.
> The only thing on top is the latest available kernel
> 3.19.0-33-generic. Yo never have to login or otherwise touch Ubuntu,
> it becomes a simple container host. I have literally hundreds of
> containers with this architecture. For some reason, the fact that
> Ubuntu does not use systemd, makes it stable and almost perfect. I
> cannot explain it, but it becomes like the engine of a Mercedes, you
> know it is there, but you don't need to see it, it becomes invisible.
> I could never use Fedora as a good container host, for you end up
> having to compile your own RPMs and it fails often. They just don't
> take LXC seriously, or they would be at the same level of Ubuntu.

Our software runs in CentOS containers which in turn run under CentOS
based hypervisors, working together in a cluster. Even switching out our
servers to run Ubuntu instead of CentOS would be a non-trivial process.
We'd need to support an upgrade path for example where we would upgrade
our customers' servers, swapping out CentOS in-place in favor or Ubuntu.
Doable but not something we really have the bandwidth to take on and
keep with our release schedule.

Peter