[lxc-users] Converting from libvirt lxc

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:04:55 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 08:54 AM, Peter Steele wrote:
> On 12/02/2015 08:09 AM, Saint Michael wrote:
>> I could not find on Google any mention of Red Hat killing LXC on
>> Libvirt. Care to elaborate?
>>
> Here's the first reference I came across a few months ago:
> https://access.redhat.com/articles/1365153. There's no date indicated
> here so I really don't know what this means, but I just did another
> search to see if I could find some more information. I came across
> this thread:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2015-August/msg00026.html
>
> This was a fairly recent thread and I'd not found this before. If you
> read through the follow-ups apparently libvirt-lxc is *not* being
> deprecated:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2015-August/msg00030.html
>
> So, it appears I was mistaken. I'm not sure where that leaves me
> though. One issue we've had with libvirt-lxc is that although it's a
> great product there seems to be very little activity with the project.
> My own posts to the libvirt-lxc mailing list often go unanswered,
> whereas this mailing list (by comparison) is great. Posts to more
> generic forums are more often than not to find information related to
> LXC and not libvirt-lxc. The community for libvirt-lxc just doesn't
> seem that large.
>
> Looks like I have some thinking to do...
Actually, I guess what this means is just that Redhat is deprecating it,
but the libvirt-lxc project as a whole is still moving forward for
whatever distros want to include it, so we probably could still use it
as a non-Redhat supported package. But, I think we'll continue with our
move to LXC since it does seem to have a lot of momentum going for it. I
think it's the right direction to move for the long term.