[lxc-users] Converting from libvirt lxc

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 16:23:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 11:09:56AM -0500, Saint Michael wrote:
> I could not find on Google any mention of Red Hat killing LXC on  Libvirt.
> Care to elaborate?

What I presume is being referred to is that Docker is the promoted container
technology on RHEL-7, and libvirt LXC is marked tech-preview (as it was in
RHEL-6 too). This does not mean that Red Hat intend to kill LXC on libvirt,
it is solely an indiciation about support of the feature in the context of
the RHEL distribution.  It has no bearing on Fedora or any other distro.
CentOS may choose to follow RHEL support policy or not, as they see fit.
ie there's nothing preventing CentOS from supporting LXC even if RHEL
does not.

While Red Hat is heavily involved in libvirt development it does not
get to decide to kill features in libvirt. The libvirt commnuity has
no intention to kill LXC support whatsoever. It is a supported driver
in libvirt and won't be going anywhere.  What libvirt features downstream
distros choose to support is upto the respective distro maintainers.

Regards,
Daniel