[lxc-users] unable to start qemu-kvm inside lxc container (the host freezes)

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Apr 16 08:50:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Syraxes <syraxes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But is there another way to make the qemu work inside the
>>> lxc container ?
>>
>> Yes.  I've done it many times.  The host freezing suggests you
>> have a problem with the kvm binary - kvm runs fine outside of
>> a container?  You're sure you have the same arch in the container
>> as on the host?  If you strace kvm in the container, does it
>> give you any clues?
>
> The qemu-kvm works outside of the container.   The arch is the same.
> By kvm binary you mean :  the qemu binary , right ?
>
> I'll try to recreate the rootfs of the container using the packages
> from a dvd instead of downloading,
> to ensure that all the packages are the same version in the host and container.
> I need to do this anyway because we need a solution that works offline.

Have you tested using kvm WITHOUT network for the VMs, by any chance?

I tested something similar with virtualbox inside a container, and
virtualbox's networkless-vm start fine. However it crash immediately
when I use bridge network for the VMs.

Hopefully this can help you pinpoint the source of the problem.

--
Fajar