[lxc-users] my actual use and future with lxd (and python)

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Tue Apr 14 14:23:51 UTC 2015

Hi Yonsy,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 01:43:58PM -0500, Yonsy Solis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am deploying lxc for virtualization in some clients, using lxc
> 1.1.1 repository and unprivileged containers with Ubuntu 14.04.2
> server.
>
> For deployment in servers i use an script to create a base
> environment first (zsh shell, some PPAs by default), lxc-clone -s
> for the other ones and customize the config with Ansible (add more
> repos with PPAs and config for specific programs, web, databases,
> etc)
>
> I use btrfs and the containers gets their own subvolume (btrfs magic
> for "partitions") and with lxcfs/cgmanager, limitations in memory
> and cores used per environment.
>
> Now, lxd will be a great help in the future, install from an Image
> to the server and after this remote configuration from the
> beggining, but i need to know:
>
> 1. LXD will support unprivileged containers?

Yes, LXD's containers are unprivileged by default.

> 2. LXD will work with btrfs subvolumes per environment?

Eventually, although it currently does not. You can set it up by hand
if you like, though.

> 3. Ansible provides tools for generate LXC containers but use
> python2-lxc port (https://github.com/lxc/python2-lxc) with this
> port, i can create unprivileged containers and btrfs subvolumes per
> container or  will i need pyhton3 lxc?

You can still use the ansible stuff, but that uses liblxc directly. To
use LXD, you'd need to write some python to call the LXD REST API to
accomplish what you want.

Tycho