[lxc-users] [Unable to start using lvm backend]

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Apr 13 12:05:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Xavier Gendre <gendre.reivax at gmail.com> wrote:
> It may be useful to give more details about what i am trying to do ;-) I
> work with a Debian Jessie and LXC 1.0.6 from the Debian repository.

You should realy use at least 1.0.7 from experimental, or better yet, 1.1.1.

> Finally, i try to start this container but it miserably fails,
>
> root # lxc-start -n test --logfile test.log --logpriority DEBUG
> lxc-start: failed to determine fs type for '/dev/Pool/test'
> lxc-start: failed to determine fs type for '/dev/dm-7'
> lxc-start: failed to mount rootfs

Works for me, just needed a chmod (which is shown on the helpful error
message that I get). This is lxc 1.1.1+master~20150407-0 from ubuntu
daily ppa.

# cat /etc/subuid
lxc-dnsmasq:100000:10000
user:100000:65537
root:1000000:100000

# cat /etc/subgid
lxc-dnsmasq:100000:10000
user:100000:65537
root:1000000:100000

# cat << END > /tmp/test.conf
> lxc.id_map = u 0 1000000 100000
> lxc.id_map = g 0 1000000 100000
> lxc.network.type = empty
> END

# lxc-create -n test -f /tmp/test.conf -t download -B lvm --vgname lxc
-- -d ubuntu -r utopic -a amd64
File descriptor 3 (/var/lib/lxc/test/partial) leaked on lvcreate
invocation. Parent PID 24304: lxc-create
  Logical volume "test" created
Using image from local cache
Unpacking the rootfs

---
You just created an Ubuntu container (release=utopic, arch=amd64,
variant=default)

To enable sshd, run: apt-get install openssh-server

For security reason, container images ship without user accounts
and without a root password.

Use lxc-attach or chroot directly into the rootfs to set a root password
or create user accounts.

# lxc-start -n test
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 344 The container failed to start.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 346 To get more details, run the
container in foreground mode.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 348 Additional information can be
obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

# lxc-start -F -n test
lxc-start: start.c: print_top_failing_dir: 102 Permission denied -
could not access /var/lib/lxc.  Please grant it 'x' access, or add an
ACL for the container root.
lxc-start: sync.c: __sync_wait: 51 invalid sequence number 1. expected 2
lxc-start: start.c: __lxc_start: 1157 failed to spawn 'test'
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 344 The container failed to start.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 348 Additional information can be
obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

# chmod o+x /var/lib/lxc

# lxc-start -n test

# lxc-ls -f --running
NAME  STATE    IPV4  IPV6  GROUPS  AUTOSTART
test  RUNNING  -     -     -       NO

# lxc-attach -n test -- cat /proc/1/uid_map
         0    1000000     100000

--
Fajar