[lxc-users] We need a lxc-top utility

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed May 21 03:16:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:07 AM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends
> I have 20+ containers with the same programs running. All of them are
> cpu-intensive. But one of them is eating way more CPU than the
> average. With "top" I have no idea which container "owns" that
> program. Perhaps we need a new "lxc-top" that would identify the
> process and the container, and maybe allow to sort by container-cpu or
> memory, or show cpu-container, memory-container, etc.

Sure. Submit patches to create the utility.

You can start from output of lxc-ps and lxc-info. In your case, you'd
be most interested in CPU use.

# lxc-ls --active
build

# lxc-info -n build -S -H
CPU use:        18523054463
BlkIO use:      2207232
Memory use:     12247040
Link:           veth-build-0
 TX bytes:      8670717
 RX bytes:      227056
 Total bytes:   8897773

Depending on what you're used to, it might be easier to either write
something to extend snmp, or write a cacti plugin directly, and
monitor the output using cacti or
whatever-that-can-plot-raw-output-into-graph.

--
Fajar