[lxc-users] Older Ubuntu Template - Natty 11.04

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu May 15 09:41:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM, TuxRaiderPen
<tuxraiderpen at wpascanner.com>wrote:

> On Monday, May 12, 2014 06:59:48 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> >
> > It's a way to make creating containers easier.
>
> That part I get... I am just not wrapping my head around the creation and
> especially the use of "preconfigured ones."
>
> Or really the creation provess... v. VMDK in a full VM.

Practice makes perfect.

Just try creating some containers using template to get the hang of it.

> > If you're using newish ubuntu/debian container (no, natty is not among
> > those), then using the download templates as in
> > https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers/
> > would've been faster.
>
> Like this... I've seen several listings of "download this, "
>
> OK.. what do I do with this arhcive of a "container"
>
> I am used to throwing an ISO at a VM or a VMDK that I move around and
> throw at
> the VM and POOF instant new x VM...

If you have up-to-date lxc installed, use one of either (the first one is
faster):

lxc-create -t download -n p1 -- -d ubuntu -r trusty -a amd64
lxc-create -t ubuntu -n p1 -- -r trusty -a amd64

and POOF, new ubuntu trusty container :)

The first time will not be "instant", but ubuntu will cache the rootfs
(/var/cache/lxc) so that subsequent container creation of the same
distro/version is much master.

an even MUCH faster process (doesn't involve copying the files) currectly
requires some manual setup, as it requires either:
- creating an overlay mount, plus some minimal config customization, or
- snapshot/clone using an appropriate backing store (e.g. zfs/btrfs), lus
some minimal config customization

--
Fajar