[lxc-users] Older Ubuntu Template - Natty 11.04

TuxRaiderPen tuxraiderpen at wpascanner.com
Sun May 11 01:19:59 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, May 06, 2014 20:47:24 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> The root cause of the problem is not the template. You'll have the
> same proble installing on a VM (e.g. using CD image). See
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/91815/how-to-install-software-or-upgrade-fro
> m-old-unsupported-release

Yeah... I figured as much for the system once I got it installed, as I've got
several actual physical ones I did that to...

> For lxc, the workaround would be to create a new template based on the
> old one, with the change mentioned on the link (i.e. ubuntu archive
> location)

OK..

sudo cp lxc-ubuntu lxc-oldbuntu

sudo kate lxc-oldbuntu

Chage line 240 to:

    case $2 in
      amd64|i386)
            MIRROR=${MIRROR:-http:/old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu}
            SECURITY_MIRROR=${SECURITY_MIRROR:-http://old-
releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu}
            ;;
      *)

Save it...

Try it again...

$ sudo lxc-create -n mailtest -t oldbuntu -- -r natty
[sudo] password for r0:
Checking cache download in /var/cache/lxc/natty/rootfs-amd64 ...
Installing packages in template: ssh,vim,language-pack-en
Downloading ubuntu natty minimal ...
I: Retrieving Release
E: Failed getting release file
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/Release
lxc_container: container creation template for mailtest failed
lxc_container: Error creating container mailtest
r at r$

It still is NOT pulling the file from old-realeases for this part..

BUT due to a lucky fubar typo later on in a failed creating it does later pull
from the source

W: Failed to fetch http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-
security/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-
security/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-
security/universe/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-
security/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

So something is not using that line for the minimal to start???

Other ideas???