[lxc-users] lxc-destroy fails somehow

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 12 22:16:06 UTC 2014

Quoting Nels Nelson (nels.n.nelson at gmail.com):
> Greetings list,-
>
> I suppose I should probably provide more context for this, but I am hoping
> that it will be obvious what I am doing wrong, and then I can just stop
> doing that thing, and everything will be okay again...
>
> This seems really bizarre to me (https://gist.github.com/nelsnelson/9516504
> ):
>
>     $ sudo lxc-destroy -n test
>     lxc_container: _recursive_rmdir_onedev: failed to delete
> /var/lib/lxc/test/rootfs/run/shm
>
>     ... <snip> ...
>
>     lxc_container: _recursive_rmdir_onedev: failed to delete
> /var/lib/lxc/test/rootfs
>     lxc_container: Error destroying rootfs for test
>     Destroying test failed
>
> What on earth could I be doing wrong here?  Can anyone tell me without
> looking at the following context info what this could be about?
>
> Here's some more context... The above error only seems to be occurring
> after one or more runs of the following commands.
>
> https://gist.github.com/nelsnelson/9516672
>
> Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
> -Nels Nelson

You gave lxc-start '-P /var/lib/lxc/test'.  For lxc-create, you did
not give that option, but you gave a custom config file.  lxc-stop
shows the contaienr not running bc it is talking to the command
socket '\0/var/lib/lxc/command', while the container is talking
over '\0/var/lib/lxc/test/command'.  Deleting the container fails
bc you cannot remove a directory which is mounted over, and bc
the container *is* running, dev/shm in the container is overmounted
with a tmpfs (presumably).

-serge