[lxc-users] Container not started

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jun 19 15:11:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 09:42 -0400, CDR wrote:
> I already created a new Ubuntu Host and the container works fine.
> The question is: We have been living under the assumption that
> containers act like virtual machines, you may move them from host to
> host.
> It is not the case, I can see. A Fedora 20 container created under
> Ubuntu will never start under a Fedora 20 host.
> In my opinion this is a big flaw. Containers built by libvirt are
> truly portable, I have already verified that.
> I think we should fix this.

Couple of things to check and try.  I just ran into a nasty corner case
with Ubuntu running on a Fedora 20 host where the Fedora 20 system was
in selinux permissive mode and caused all kinds of grief in the Ubuntu
Trusty container.

Since your problem is Fedora on Fedora, check your selinux settings in
the host and in the container...

/etc/selinux/config
/selinux/enforcing

If they are NOT the same between host and container, make them the same and retest.

If your host is in "enforcing" mode or "permissive" mode, try switching
it to "disabled".  The Fedora template sets up containers set to
"disabled" by default.  I cringe at making that a recommendation but we
should, at least, test at that level.

Regards,
Mike