[lxc-users] Container not started

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Jun 17 14:11:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:

> I already created a new Ubuntu Host and the container works fine.

It shouldn't. Well, at least it shouldn't work if you're using the default
ubuntu setup, with the fedora template, and NOT change this line

# When using LXC with apparmor, uncomment the next line to run unconfined:
#lxc.aa_profile = unconfined

So what did you change in the fedora container that you created in ubuntu?
Is it only that line, or did you also change anything else to make it work?

> The question is: We have been living under the assumption that
> containers act like virtual machines, you may move them from host to
> host.

For the most part, yes.
However container share the same kernel as the host, thus subject to
additional restrictions from the host (e.g. apparmor, in the case above)

> It is not the case, I can see. A Fedora 20 container created under
> Ubuntu will never start under a Fedora 20 host.
> In my opinion this is a big flaw. Containers built by libvirt are
> truly portable, I have already verified that.
> I think we should fix this.

Sure. The best place to start is by contributing to the project however you
can. Even testing is a good place to start.

Now your original config (the one migrated from fedora host) still have the
lxc.aa_profile commented out. What happens if:
- you uncomment the line
- you copy over the config from the working container (created on ubuntu),
and changing only relevant lines (e.g. lxc.rootfs, NIC mac address)

--
Fajar