[lxc-users] documentation sucks

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jun 12 14:13:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-11 at 23:27 -0700, Steven Howe wrote:
> OK. I have what I would think is a really simple situation, but I
> can't google an answer at all.
> Networking, bridge easy. Has nothing to do with LXC.
> Startup at boot, fedora is a mystery. I can't find any useful
> documentation on that.
> How to attach a drive, during boot is also a mystery.

Lighten up.

If you're (most likely) running the distro packaged version, then you're
only on 0.9.0 which had no autoboot capability, if that's what you're
referring to.  That's going to be in 1.0.4 which is due to be released
any time now.

> you'd think, if the developers were serious, the documentation would
> be there.

We're working on it.  I wrote some of the autoboot code and I documented
what I did in the man pages.

> Really. A server, afterall, likely that's all a virtual machine is,
> network, storage and process.

> The networking is done by LibVirtd more or less. The process, during
> the initialization, then after via yum. Now guys, gals, how about the
> storage?

> How the hell do I attach a drive via cgroup, mount, or via lxc-device,
> at boot. I can do it manually, but that really isn't a production
> solution.

Since there's no such thing as "attaching a drive" I'm guessing you want
to mount a physical drive on a directory in the container.  You would
used an lxc.mount.entry or an fstab entry in your config.  If that's not
what you mean, then you need to be more specific in what you are trying
to do.

> What does the addition to 'config' look like?
>

> Then update the docs. Network, storage, process. Need all three.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com