[lxc-users] Can LVM be used in an LXC container?

Jeremiah Snapp jeremiah.snapp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 18:37:23 UTC 2014

Hello I'm trying to lvcreate a small volume in an LXC container as part of
a testing environment but I get the following error.

root at test:~# lvcreate -L 1G --name example vg01
>   /dev/mapper/control: open failed: Operation not permitted
>   Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
>   striped: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel
>   Run `lvcreate --help' for more information.

Is there a way to make this work?

My host is Ubuntu 13.04 with LXC 1.0.0~beta1 and the container is Ubuntu
12.04 with LVM2 installed.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremiah