[lxc-users] Cannot start unprivileged containers after first provisioning Ubuntu 14.04 instance

Justin Hume justin.df.hume at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:06:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

--- My system ---
Kernel version: 3.13.0-29-generic
Release: 14.04
Platform: ec2
LXC: 1.0.5
---

I cannot start an unprivileged LXC container on Ubuntu 14.04 after
installing LXC and configuring unprivileged container access, as per
https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers/.
However, after restarting the instance, unprivileged containers can be
created.

The error message, on "lxc-start -n cn_name", is as follows:

lxc_container: call to cgmanager_create_sync failed: invalid request
lxc_container: Failed to create hugetlb:p1
lxc_container: Error creating cgroup hugetlb:p1
lxc_container: failed creating cgroups
lxc_container: failed to spawn 'p1'
lxc_container: The container failed to start.
lxc_container: Additional information can be obtained by setting the
--logfile and --log-priority options.

This is the same issue, as found here:

https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2014-July/007413.html

I've tried things suggested (restart cgmanager etc.)  in this thread, with
no result. The only additional info I've found is a discrepancy of the
contents of the "/proc/self/cgroup" file before and after restart of the
instance.

Before:
11:hugetlb:/
10:perf_event:/
9:blkio:/
8:freezer:/
7:devices:/
6:memory:/
5:cpuacct:/
4:cpu:/
3:cpuset:/
2:name=systemd:/user/1000.user/1.session

After:
11:hugetlb:/user/1000.user/1.session
10:perf_event:/user/1000.user/1.session
9:blkio:/user/1000.user/1.session
8:freezer:/user/1000.user/1.session
7:devices:/user/1000.user/1.session
6:memory:/user/1000.user/1.session
5:cpuacct:/user/1000.user/1.session
4:cpu:/user/1000.user/1.session
3:cpuset:/user/1000.user/1.session
2:name=systemd:/user/1000.user/1.session

It looks like required cgroups have not been delegated? I don't have a deep
understanding of cgroups, or of how cgroups and LXC interact, so the answer
may be obvious to someone else. Thanks in advance for your time,

Justin