[lxc-users] Networking: virtual interface name

Tamas Papp tompos at martos.bme.hu
Wed Aug 13 18:18:04 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 07:31 PM, Garrett Gauthier wrote:

> To keep accounting for network traffic for each container, I need to
> know the virtual interface name.  The problem is that each time my
> container starts I get a new interface created on the host, something
> like vethCSR894, it is never the same.   I have tried by using
> lxc.network.veth.pair but that parameter is ignored and a new interace
> pair is cerated each time VETH##### (Host) ↔ ETH0 (Container).
>
> So bottom line I want to create a virtual interface that is connected
> to my bridge and force the container to use that interface each time.
>
>  I used Cacti but any tool has the same issue as the interface name is
> randomly generated each time the container starts.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

It works for me:

lxc.network.veth.pair = veth_da-ipa-0

veth_da-ipa-0 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr fe:b4:38:ea:b4:bd
           inet6 addr: fe80::fcb4:38ff:feea:b4bd/64 Scope:Link
           UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:31878374 (31.8 MB)  TX bytes:39564227 (39.5 MB)

tamas