[lxc-users] Question about existing defaults

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Apr 17 18:27:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 07:29 -0400, CDR wrote:
> I followed the instructions and it works, indeed.
> I erased first all lxc rpms and the installed the new ones

> rpm -qa |grep lxc
> lxc-libs-1.0.3-1.fc20.x86_64
> lxc-debuginfo-1.0.3-1.fc20.x86_64
> lxc-1.0.3-1.fc20.x86_64
> libvirt-daemon-driver-lxc-1.1.3.4-4.fc20.x86_64

> However, I hit a problem when starting a container.
> lxc-start -d -n dialer-1
> lxc-start: symbol lookup error: lxc-start: undefined symbol: lxc_caps_init

> This means that the code is left to pull this function from package
> that is not there?

That usually means you've got an old library dangling around or you have
processes with a deleted library locked in memory.  That most often
happens when you've done a manual "./configure ; make ; make install"
and pieces are now installed where you don't want them.  In that case,
ldconfig may have the lxc-libs located in a different path location than
what you've installed.  It could also occur if you have running
containers with an incompatible library.

First thing I would do is inspect /usr/local and look for any lxc
components and get rid of them.

Second thing I would do is reboot to make sure you have no stale
processes holding an old library in common memory.

Then try it again.

This is why I strictly go with the yum/rpm route when working with
managed packages like LXC.

> Any help would be appreciated, or a patch that would not use this
> function. My containers are unbound, only for internal use, so I want
> them to use as much resources as needed.

What rpm is showing is that you have a coherent set of packages that
should not be encountering this problem.  The error indicates the
presence of an unmanaged library in memory on on disk.  You might track
it down using "ldd /usr/bin/lxc-start" and see what that gives you.

> Philip

Regards,
Mike