[lxc-users] Screen corruption when starting Ubuntu container

Torste Aikio zokier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:54:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm trying out LXC containers on my desktop computer running Arch Linux.
When I start a container with Ubuntu my screen flashes black and in some
blinking artifacts appear to left-top corner which persist even after I
stop the container (screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/XgZE6uz.png ). I think
this might have something to do with the Ubuntu system trying to take over
VTs or something along those lines, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to
debug this further. Could someone help me prevent this from happening? Here
is the console output of lxc-start, some bluetooth related noise filtered
away:

# lxc-start --name=ubu_lpc
<4>init: hostname main process (4) terminated with status 1
<4>init: hwclock main process (7) terminated with status 77
<4>init: ureadahead main process (8) terminated with status 5
<4>init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (48) terminated with status 1
<30>udevd[153]: starting version 175
<4>init: failsafe main process (136) killed by TERM signal
TERM environment variable not set.
<4>init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (231) terminated with status 1
* Asking all remaining processes to terminate...
<4>init: upstart-udev-bridge main process ended, respawning
<4>init: plymouth main process (12) killed by TERM signal
...done.
<4>init: udev main process ended, respawning
<4>init: dbus main process ended, respawning
<4>init: rsyslog main process ended, respawning
<4>init: Disconnected from system bus
<30>udevd[318]: starting version 175
TERM environment variable not set.
<4>init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (380) terminated with status 1
* Killing all remaining processes...
<4>init: udev main process (318) killed by KILL signal
<4>init: udev main process ended, respawning
<4>init: upstart-udev-bridge main process (322) killed by KILL signal
<4>init: upstart-udev-bridge main process ended, respawning
...fail!
<4>init: rsyslog main process (334) killed by KILL signal
<4>init: rsyslog main process ended, respawning
<4>init: dbus main process (377) killed by KILL signal
<4>init: dbus main process ended, respawning
* Will now switch to single-user mode
<4>init: Disconnected from system bus
<30>udevd[506]: starting version 175
TERM environment variable not set.
<4>init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (514) terminated with status 1
<4>init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (522) terminated with status 1
groups: cannot find name for group ID 19
root at ubu_lpc:~#

I'm starting to single-user mode (DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=1 in
/etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf) to minimize moving parts, the same happens with
the default runlevel (2/multi-user).

/Torste Aikio