[Lxc-users] Tap interface not deleted?

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Wed Sep 11 14:44:28 UTC 2013

Although I wouldn't consider myself an expert on this,

My observation is that network interfaces (generally bridge but
logically should also include tap and tun interfaces) exist as devices
on the Host and not within a container. Inside the container, eth0 can
be configured with additional br/tap/tun interfaces because these
types of devices can be chained, but so far I've rarely encountered
that.

So, it would be logical that if these devices existed as Host devices
and not within the container, the devices would persist beyond the
life of a single container.

Note also that as a Host device any number and type of virtual guests
(including Containers) can use any available device that already
exists on the Host.

This is just based on observation, if someone knows differently, am
open to correction.

Tony