[Lxc-users] Using templates based on bash or creating templates with a favorite progamming language. Which is better?

Fatih Arslan ftharsln at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 22:59:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just started to play around with some testing containers. And the
first thing that hits me was using templates when using 'lxc-create.
Here are several templates:
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/tree/master/templates  that can be for
example installed on ubuntu with 'apt-get install lxc-templates'.

And all these templates are basically bash scripts. I thought maybe
using a scripting language like Pyton, Ruby, etc.. and creating them
manually would be better (instead of using those bash scripts). I have
several questions:

1. Why are the templates based on bash script, and not using some internal api?
2. Is the preferred way to create an lxc with templates these bash
scripts?, or it's better when I create them manually (for example with
a custom Python script).
3. Is investing time on creating a template with bash the time worth
when I can use my favorite language to create them?

I'm trying to find some answers about templates and any answer or
experiences on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Regards

--