[Lxc-users] Lxc-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Nov 15 19:23:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 13:02 +0000, John wrote:
> On 15/11/13 12:21, brian mullan wrote:
> > John...
> >
> > Thanks for you note also..  I'd seen a very similar Bash script for
> > Arch Linux here:
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/zZEAk3Ny
> >
> > while researching all of this.
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Ah-ha, yes that pastebin is mine. That paste pre-dates systemd. I think
> the current implementation using the autodev hook is much cleaner. I
> used to have a separate script called "make_sound_devices" that was
> called on the host after boot to write devs to the containers that used
> alsa. This was needed because the device nodes appeared to change on
> every boot.

Yes.  This was a point hammered on multiple times by Greg K-H at
LinuxPlumbers.  Device notes are potentially volatile over reboot and
should not be replied on.  That's what devtmpfs and udev are intended to
deal with.

> Before systemd it was possible to write a container /dev
> from the host.

That may, hopefully, become possible again.  I have patches in front on
Serge and Stéphane which should make this and a few other facilities
available to us once again by providing hooks from the container /dev
into a subdirectory of the host /dev at /dev/.lxc/${CONTAINER} (actually
a hashed unique name) with some symlinks pointing into it from the
container configuration areas.  I'm waiting to hear feedback on my
latest proposal.

> The autodev hook does exactly the same thing but is
> automated per-container during container startup. Good find though :)

Yes, we want to be able to do this at container startup.  Ultimately,
this should provide some semblance of udev capability from the host into
the container, but that's further off.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com