[Lxc-users] LXC and sound in container -

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 15:12:13 UTC 2013

I've searched the web for 2 weeks now and can find no documentation
describing steps to configure "sound" in an LXC container.

I've read all the lxc-user mail back to April 2011
http://osdir.com/ml/lxc-chroot-linux-containers/2013-11/
and can't find any previous mail on the subject describing the steps
involved:

I will admit that I may not be doing things right or may have left
something out.
I am using Ubuntu 13.10 and LXC.

On the host I do the following:
*$ sudo mount “-o rw,bind” “/dev/snd” “/var/lib/lxc/CN_name/rootfs/dev/snd”*

I then edited the /var/lib/lxc/CN_name/config and added:
*lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 116:* rwm*

I then start the container CN_name ( $ sudo lxc-start -n CN_name)

after this I still cannot get any sound out of the container.

I did a check:

$ lspci -v | more

and it comes back with Capabilities Denied for all PCI devices (re my hosts
sound card) but again I am not LXC "smart" enough to know if that's the
problem and if it is how to resolve it.

Although I have seen multiple posts be people around the web saying it can
be done or that they have done it there is never anything added as to
describing the commands or /var/lib/lxc/cn_name/config entries required.

I had really assumed that something like this would have been documented by
now ... somewhere by someone.

The problem is NOT getting a gnome/unity/lxde/xfce etc desktop running in
the container its that there's no sound present

Even Docker Desktop:

http://blog.docker.io/2013/07/docker-desktop-your-desktop-over-ssh-running-inside-of-a-docker-container/#more-368

Although presenting a Desktop via ssh to a container doesn't have sound (if
you were to start firefox and go to youtube... no sound)

I've check ubuntu, arch, debian, mint etc distro LXC documentation and
there just is no documentation concerning the steps to do this ?